Navigation

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blogging Tips - Things I've learned so far...

As you know, I'm fairly new to this blogging thing, so I'm definitely no expert. But recently I participated in a blogging buddy swap and one of the tasks was to offer 5 nuggets of wisdom to your blogging buddy. Since you're all my blogging buddies, really, I thought it was only right that I share them with you. Here goes:

If you get any ideas for a post, even when you're not due to post something, or it's not a full idea yet, start a post and save it as a draft. That way you've recorded your idea and also started writing the post for it! It's like a little digital notebook. Alternately, you could have a notebook to keep your ideas in :)


Since I've committed to blogging every day, I feel a bit silly writing this, as I don't practice it (properly) BUT if you don't feel like posting something one day, don't. I think it shows if you're not into what you have prepared or written, and if you've just put something up for the sake of it. Because I post every day, I jump a mental hurdle and just get it done, and hopefully put a positive spin on my day.

Try to plan ahead. If you have a regular feature on your blog, try to start writing it a week or more in advance. Even if it's not finished that early (but how awesome when it is!) you've at least got a head start on writing/researching/photos. I am trying to schedule posts, which doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it allows me time off from thinking about what I will post on that day. The schedule button is your best friend.

Don't worry about what other people are doing. You don't need to live under a rock, but your best work comes from within. Always post about what you love (it's been said before) and never post something that you think OTHER people will love. It's your blog, post your thoughts and inspirations.

Interact with other bloggers on a personal level. I think it's really important to try and make meaningful contact with people. It feels so much better to have a conversation (even over email) than just leaving random comments and hoping someone might respond. Even if they do, that's usually as far as it goes. I'm told it takes time, but I think it's really great to email people and try to get to know them better. And don't be disillusioned if they don't reply. They might be intending to reply at a later date, or their inbox is full, or they're simply too busy to respond. But generally your email will get read, and gradually people will get to know you better I think. That's when you start to click with people and develop the relationships that everyone talks about ;) Don't be shy! Say hi!

So that's it, my 5 tips on blogging. I'd love to hear any advice that you guys might have. And if you have a blog, let me know about it. I love finding out about my readers! Feel free to comment below, I've set up a new commenting system that lets people see your latest blog post (if you choose to) and I will check out your blogs and try to read them often!

Thanks to Nat and Natasha for hosting the Blog Swap and Melanie for being my great blogging buddy :)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy