Navigation

Monday, June 25, 2012

Photo A Day #123 Dear Weekend

OK weekend, we need to talk. You're supposed to be there for me, as a respite from the working week. A time to kick back and let the cares of the world pass me by. You seem to be quite fond of striking me down with an ailment, or providing a chore. This weekend was different only in the dramatics of your disruption. Please be kind to me next weekend, weekend?

Love, Kitty


Now that that is done with, I'll explain a little. You guys saw Space Cat (aka Hobbes) right? He's been a bit under the weather lately, but on Saturday he had a full-blown hypoglycemic episode. The poor little guy had a number of seizures and we almost lost him. A couple of emergency dashes to two different vets, blood tests and shaved arms, and he's OK. He's been diabetic for 3 years and we've never experienced this before. So I thought I would share it with you in case you have a pet that suffers from diabetes.

Thank goodness for the internet, it meant we could look up his symptoms and make an educated guess as to what was wrong. He became really disoriented, was shaking his head slowly from side to side, possibly hallucinating and his pupils became very, very dilated. He reached a point where he couldn't walk and he fell on his head a couple of times. It was so incredibly scary. The fastest solution to hypoglycemia is to apply a bit of honey to his gums in order to raise his blood sugar level. After a little while, he was back to normal levels, and ready for a long nap.

He still has some issues, which we are hoping to diagnose this week (waiting on test results) But I am so grateful to the two vets that helped us over Saturday. Since I'd never witnessed hypoglycemia before, I had no idea what was going on with him. I'm definitely not a vet or medical expert, so if your pet is ill, make sure you take them to a vet immediately. I just wanted to share our experience, as the honey almost certainly saved Hobbes' life.

On a more positive note, today was super productive, Hobbes was feeling much better, I baked a strawberry and rhubarb crumble, took some great photos, had a lovely lentil burger for dinner and saw yet another great film: The Cabin In The Woods. In my mind, it's the best horror film I have seen in a very long time. Maybe ever. Full of laughs, great suspense, well written. I've seen so many great movies lately, I'm on a roll!

Kitty
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy