Navigation

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Kitty's Book Nook - Wildwood

One of my goals for 2013 was to read at least 12 books. I thought it would be nice to share at least some of them with you here, and I wanted to revive my "Book Nook" series anyway. My first book though, I read very late last year. I thought I'd include it as I have it's sequel on my to-read list and will most likely include that on in a future post.

Wildwood is set in Portland, Oregon, and the woods which lie on it's border, the Impassable Wilderness. Nobody knows what lies inside the Impassable Wilderness, it's impassable, after all. Our leading lady Prue, is taking care of her baby brother in the park, when he is abducted by a huge flock of crows. Prue takes chase on her bicycle, following the flock of crows high above her in the sky. She follows them until they retreat with her baby brother, into the Impassable Wilderness. What follows is the adventures of Prue and her tagalong friend Curtis, through the Impassable Wilderness, known as Wildwood to it's inhabitants, tracking down her baby brother. Filled with wonderful creatures and exciting adventures, I really enjoyed this story! It's well written and paced, and the darling illustrations just add to the fun. I generally read pretty serious books, so it was nice to enjoy some escapism into this mysterious wooded wonderland.
There's some controversy about this book being classified as "Young Adult", as the vocabulary is seen as a little too challenging and not age-appropriate. All I can say is, thank you. Finally something that is not dumbed-down for an audience, instead expecting them to learn along the way. I wish there were more books, TV shows and movies that took that line of thinking. We'd all be smarter. So yes, it's a young adult book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a fully grown-adult too ;)

Have you read Wildwood? I just started up a Goodreads account this week (I've been meaning to do that FOR-EVER). So I'll be keeping track of my reads, and hopefully finding some new books I didn't know about. I'd love to know what you thought about Wildwood, or if you have any recommendations  I'll add them to my "to read" shelf!

Kitty
xo

(keep up to date with Kitty & Buck with Bloglovin')

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy